Sunday, August 16, 2009

The inaugural post

Hello, all you people out there. I don’t know how you came upon this, or why you chose to read it, but whatever the case is, welcome. If you like reading this blog, because my writing appeals to you or you relate to me or you have a similar taste in books/movies/TV/music, then that’s really cool! I would love to hear from you. If you don’t like this blog, then please, seek entertainment elsewhere. Don’t leave rude or hurtful messages. No one’s forcing you to read this.

I don’t know why I’m starting this, exactly. I’ll be the first person to say it: I don’t have a very exciting life. I’m a college student; I’ll be a sophomore at Columbia College in Chicago this fall. I come from a pretty average family: mom, dad, older sister. I was born and raised in Minneapolis, MN. I don’t want to say too much too soon, because then I’ll have nothing to write about. The plan is to write about stuff that’s happening in my life, as well as writing about movies, books, TV, music, dance, and other various pop culture/current events that happen to strike my fancy.

So let me just start with what’s new and important in my life right now. I’m moving back to Chicago in less than a month, and I’ll be living in an apartment! Now, when I think about it, I don’t know why I’m excited about living in an apartment. I’ve lived in an apartment since I was nine. I have my own room here (as I will in the new place), and the amount of space is most likely quite similar.

I think why I’m most excited is because it’s one more step towards becoming an independent adult. Moving to Chicago last year was the first step; going shopping and cleaning and unclogging the toilet (I’ll share that story later) by myself. Not living with my parents. And this year, I’m moving a little farther forward: I’ll be doing legitimate grocery shopping (not just buying Easy Mac and soup), and other things that will prepare me for moving out into the real world.

What’s gotten me so excited is the fact that I got to buy things for my kitchen yesterday. I got pots and pans and a really cool kitchen gadget set that came with lots of good cooking knives and other useful utensils, like a bagel holder (seriously the best thing. Ever.). I’ve been sorting through my cookbooks and staking claims on my dishes that are right now used communally. I was also excited to find plain white cotton dishtowels, like the ones we use at home, because those are the best, and it will provide a little familiarity.

One of the reasons I’m so excited about having a kitchen is that I love to cook. I have for a while; I don’t do a whole lot of scratch recipes besides omelets (which I don’t actually eat. I make them for other people). Mostly I make baked goods from a box, but I still count it as cooking. But now I’m hoping to expand my cooking horizons.

When I was little, my mom worked at a toy store. Well, technically she still does, only at a different location. I now work at the location she originally worked at (It’s an awesome local business called Creative Kidstuff. Check it out). Anyway, she would always find really cool stuff to bring home, and so I ended up with some pretty awesome kids cookbooks.

Now, I’m not ashamed of having kids’ cookbooks. They have easy to make recipes, step by step instructions, and lots of pictures. Plus, the recipes are usually fairly standard, because no kid wants to eat calf brains cooked in wine with some obscure vegetable. However, I have also procured a few grown-up cookbooks as well: a step by step version of the Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook, and Mastering the Art of French Cooking, Vol. 1, by Julia Childs. I got that second one after reading Julie & Julia; my mom thought it would be a cool gift, and she was right (that cookbook is, incidentally, where the calf brains came from). So I hope to put those to good use.

I also have a few recipes I got from my grandma to try out: Wild Rice Casserole, Beef Stroganoff, German Spaetzle, and Chocolate Fudge. These are all comfort foods for me, and I want to be able to make them for myself. Now understand: my grandma makes the best fudge in the world. I am not lying; it is the best I’ve ever tried. I’ve almost given up eating any other kind of fudge. The problem is, it’s hard to make. So, when that happens, I’ll be sure to share.

Anyway, I’ve already rambled on enough. That’s something that will reoccur, because I am prone to going off on tangents. Anyway, I hope you’ve enjoyed reading it.
-Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment